Skateboarding has a cool vibe allure to it, and it's no wonder that many kids are interested in it.
Though there are many skateboards in the market, it's essential to note that the best ones stand out as they are built from quality materials and have impeccable style. It's advisable not to buy skateboards for 6 years olds just because they look pretty, but also to consider the quality features and materials.
Ideally, it's recommended for children to start skateboarding at the age of 6. This is because they at this point have more energy and skill to push the skateboard. Their fine motor skills have also developed, unlike children younger them. Younger children will have problems balancing on a full-sized board, which is the best type of skateboard for young beginners.
Parents are also advised to consider complete skateboards for children. This will save you the time and energy from gathering parts for a skateboard to set it up yourself. Considering the best skateboards for 6-year-olds that come fully assembled allows for convenience and is affordable than buying parts from different shops. The skateboard should also be lightweight and easy to use.
It can seem like quite the task settling on one; that's why we outlined the 5 best skateboards for 6-year-olds in the market and features to consider when buying them.
- Best Skateboards For 6-Year-Olds
- Factors To Consider When Choosing Best Skateboards For Kids
- How to Make Your Kids Skateboard Last Longer
Best Skateboards For 6-Year-Olds
1. Magneto Mini Cruiser Skateboard
- Designed to be fun to ride and portable to carry around, this is our go-to board for...
- Length = 27.5" | Width = 7.5" | Wheelbase = 18.5"
- Canadian maple deck with high quality components
- The double kick tails for added fun and versatility
- Sand grit finish on top to grip your feet and show off the maple deck.
When it comes to the best skateboards for 6-year-olds, the Magneto Mini Cruiser stands out. The brand holds the torch as the leader in the best skateboards for beginners. Their skateboards are not only suited for younger children but everyone.
The forward-thinking skateboard company is known for its use of quality products while still aiming to keep its prices reasonable.
The Magneto Mini-Cruiser is designed from Canadian maple with high-quality components. Canadian maple wood is considered the best in the skateboard industry as it delivers just enough flex while maintaining full strength.
Its mini design makes it the best skateboard for your 6-year-old in terms of portability. It's lightweight enough to carry with you to the skate park. The mini skatepark features a high-quality deck that is strong and durable. The deck also features cool graphics that are appealing to the eye.
The wheels and bushings are made from high-quality SHR polyurethane, and the trucks are cast from premium aluminum material. The deck size is perfect for 6-year-old beginners and is ideal for beginners as they will be comfortable standing without losing balance.
The top layer on the skateboard features a sand grit finish which helps in keeping a skateboarder centered. Since it's a mini skateboard, the extra size removed helps reduce this skateboard's overall weight. With the purchase, you get spray-on grip tape.
2. Skatro Mini Cruiser Skateboard
- Performance - Abec 7 Skatro Bearings; 59MM Urethane Skatro wheels; 3inch lightweight...
- Skatro Flexy Technology - A proprietary manufacturing process that ensures optimal...
- Amazing Value - Skatro outperforms many of the leading brands and sells for a...
- Commuting has never been so easy - Take this board on the subway, plane, train, and...
- Includes T-tool - All Skatro Boards come standard with a color matching T-tool. This...
The Skatro mini cruiser skateboard boasts many great features that make it one of the best skateboards for 6-year-olds. The mini cruiser has a strong grip and is equipped with 'Skatro Flexy Technology,' which ensures that optimal flex on the board with each turn.
The kid skateboard has ABEC-7 bearings and 59 mm urethane wheels, making it easy to ride. Additionally, the metal bearings make it easier to bear the high impact without experiencing wear and tear. While the carbon steel build reduces friction, allowing smoother cruising.
The Mini Cruiser features 3-inch aluminum trucks that are well balanced, keeping the child stable on the skateboard.
What's cool is that you get all these features at a fraction of the cost of other skateboards made for kids.
3. Meketec Retro Skateboard
- Meketec Unique Technology - The strong 3.25 inch trucks with different color with...
- Performance - High speed abec 7 meketec Bearings; 60mm Urethane wheels; 22.5 inch...
- High Value - Meketec Unusual skateboard appearance outperforms many of the leading...
- Advantage - Take this board on the park, school and road with ease, It’s the best...
- Easy to Use- With CE certification, this well-built skateboard is safe to ride and...
This is the perfect skateboard if your child loves skateboarding but isn't too confident about getting on to one. The complete skateboard is available in multiple colors, allowing for a variety of choices.
The beginner skateboard is made from high-quality polypropylene material and features PU smooth wheels. Thus this ensures that you're getting a durable skateboard regardless of how rigorous it's treated; the board is sure to stand firm.
The complete skateboard features 3.25-inch trucks with different colors for each skateboard. Thus, adding that unique touch to every skateboard. It's lightweight and easily portable so that younger kids can carry them around.
The retro beginner skateboard has a 22.5-inch long x 6-inch wide deck and high-speed ABEC-7 bearings. The Meketec skateboard carries a maximum load weight of 200 lb.
4. PUENTE Skateboard for Beginner
- [PROFESSIONAL DESIGN] 31" x 8" complete skateboard offers perfect balance between...
- [SMOOTH & SPEEDY] Super smooth (52mm,95A) High rebound PU wheels with ABEC-9...
- [BETTER CONTROL] sandpaper which provided high friction and strong anti-slip;...
- [No Need Assemble] Skatebaords Come with Completed Assembled. We Provide Excellent...
- [GIFT PACKAGE] Perfect gift for kids and teens in Santa, birthday, Chrismas day etc....
The Puente Skateboard is designed to ensure that your child has the best beginner experience. Not only does it come preassembled, but you also get some of the necessary gear to start you off.
The kids' skateboard is built from quality materials, with the skateboard deck being made from 7 layers of maple wood. This is combined with 5 inch reinforced aluminum alloy trucks providing solid and reliable support. It's designed to carry a maximum weight of up to 220 pounds.
The Puente Skateboard features a classic concave shape and double kicktail, which is wide enough for your child to balance and learn to cruise around in no time.
The wide deck is ideal for your child to advance from cruising to doing simple tricks like ollies and turns.
5. Merkapa Complete Skateboard
- Without batteries, No charge ★ Electricity generation from rotary power, LED always...
- Classic Mini Cruiser Deck ★ 22'' Long x 6'' wide PP plastic single kick board
- V-truck And Base ★ 3.2'' heavy duty high quality aluminum, ABEC-7 bearing
- Large Soft PU Wheels ★ 60 x 45 mm PU wheel 78A, with super shock absorption and...
- Max Load Ability ★ From children to teenagers who weight less than 180LB (82KGS)
The kids' skateboard is perfect for young skaters as it's specially designed for them. Coming fully assembled, the skateboard promises a smooth ride with PU wheels and ABEC-7 bearings that feature shock absorption, fine abrasion resistance, and great grip. The wheels and bearings allow your child to increase their speed as their confidence rises, thus ensuring a comfortable ride.
It's 6 inches and 22 inches long, making it the best size skateboard for young kids. Another fun and cool feature are its battery LED lights. They are rotary-powered and light up while riding without batteries or chargers for fun and safety at night. The lights will also let you know when a wheel or screw cap becomes loose. Once you've fixed the issue, the lights will turn off automatically turn off.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Best Skateboards For Kids
a) The Height of The Child
The width of kids' skateboards directly corresponds with your child's height.
For older and taller children, the skateboard will be wider.
For children under 3 feet and 4 inches, the best skateboard width would range between 6.5 inches and 7.0 inches.
While children with a height ranging from 3 feet 5 inches to 4 feet 4 inches should consider having skateboards between 7.0 to 8.0 inches wide.
If you have an older child and their height ranges between 4 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 2 inches, the ideal skateboard width would range between 7.5 inches and 8.0 inches.
Lastly, for children above 5 feet and 3 inches, the skateboard width should be above 9.0 inches.
b) Skateboarding Level
Ideally, your child will probably be a beginner as the recommended age to begin learning how to skateboard is 5- 6 years.
When searching for the best skateboards for 6-year-olds, there are three grades to consider.
Different brands will term them differently. Some might say pro and rookie instead of advanced and beginner.
Kids should begin with beginner skateboards then move on to intermediate as their level of practice grows. Advanced skateboards tend to be more expensive and have harder wheels and bearings. This makes them not the best skateboards for kids as they not ideal for learning and kids need something a bit softer.
c) Safety Gear
Safety is key when searching for the best skateboards for kids. This is especially due to the possible accidents that might occur as they are still trying to learn how to balance on the board and even when they are practicing tricks at the skate park.
Hence having a quality board is key and making sure it's safe for use and comes from a reliable and thoroughly researched vendor/skate shop. It's advisable not to buy skateboards for kids from toy stores or generic department stores as it can be hard to determine the quality.
When buying the best skateboard for kids, it's also important to buy appropriate protective gear, including a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, and wrist guards. Ensure that the gear fits your child perfectly by buying the right sizes.
d) Deck shape
When searching for a skateboard for kids, consider a deck with a compact shape and size. The material should also be light and flexible. This allows your child to be able to carry it with them in their backpacks.
Consider skateboards built with a wider deck, as they will have enough room for both feet; that way, your child won't have a problem controlling it. Once they become experienced skateboarders, the double kick tails will help them a lot.
When buying a skateboard for kids, always consider the durable and light ones. The trucks made of aluminum materials are always durable and long-lasting. They also don't rust easily, which increases their performance. The metal is light hence ensuring that the skateboard remains lightweight.
Wheels are key when it comes to a skateboard. Generally, the wheels should be made of materials that absorb shock and allow for a smooth ride. Softer wheels tend to be slower, ensuring the speed is not too high, which is ideal for most kids.
g) Type of Shoe
Though not a requirement, you can consider the type of shoes your child wears as they progress in skateboarding. The more they practice their ollies and tricks, you'll begin to notice that the deck grip will wear down the shoes. Hence you'll need some suede to make the shoes last longer.
As your child's skills improve, you can consider investing in a pair of real skate shoes from brands like Vans, Lakai. They'll help with the grip.
How to Make Your Kids Skateboard Last Longer
Here are some different ways you can make your kids skateboard last longer:
- Keep it clean: Ensure that it is clean and dry when finished with the skateboard before you put it away. Ensure the wheels and trucks do not have grit or dirt and the deck isn't remotely wet.
- Don’t leave it in the heat: The heat will destroy your deck just as quickly as moisture will. Don’t leave the skateboard in the car if the weather is warm, in direct sunlight, against any radiators, or on top of any air vents.
- Take Note of Repairs: To make it last longer, sand out any chips, smooth rough edges, and use dabs of superglue to hold together a wayward piece of grip tape.