If your child is fascinated by new technology, they must surely want to own a drone. But, as a parent, you understand drones need some expertise to pilot, and you may not be sure how safe it will be to have your child flying one. Luckily, you can now find the best drones for kids; they are lightweight, easy to fly, and won't fly as high as regular drones.
- What are the Best Drones for Kids?
- What is the Best Drone for Kids?
- 1. Best Overall: Potensic A20 Mini Drone for Kids
- 2. Best Hand-Operated Drone: Force1 Scoot Hand Operated Drone for Kids
- 3. Best for Older Kids: Ryze Tech Tello - Mini Drone Kids with 5MP Camera
- 4. Best FPV Drone: SANROCK U61W Drone with Camera for Kids
- 5. Best for Smaller Kids: Toyk Flying Drone
- Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Kids Drones
- What are the Safety Rules You Should Know Before Buying the Best Drones for Kids?
- Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Drones for Kids
What are the Best Drones for Kids?
Any drone for kids is designed with a child's safety in mind. Unlike regular drones, one for a kid might have limited flight capabilities and covered blades and other control features. In short, a kid's drone will not fly as high as a regular drone; it will be smaller, it will have a shorter battery life, and it should stop flying when not being piloted.
When buying a drone for your kid, you will need to consider when and where your child can fly their drone. Keep in mind that the Federal Aviation Administration will have flying laws in certain places, such as near airports or public parks.
Next, you will want to decide how advanced a drone you get for your kid; some have powerful features like cameras and piloting controls, while others have toy-like features and can also be controlled by hand.
With that said, we have compiled this list of the best drones for kids. Read on to find which your kid will enjoy most, and later, the factors you will need to consider before entrusting your drone with a kid.
What is the Best Drone for Kids?
1. Best Overall: Potensic A20 Mini Drone for Kids
- Easy to Play: With altitude hold, headless mode and One Key Taking-off / Landing,...
- Having Fun for More Time: Drone for Kids and Beginners include 3 batteries. Flight...
- Headless Mode: You could control the Small drone fly toward any directions by remote...
- 3 Speed: RC helicopter have three different flight speeds. You can use it in...
- Portable and Durable: Mini drone is extremely lightweight and easy to carry. With 4...
If you know a few things about drones, you will have come across the Potensic brand. They make some of the best professional and recreations drones, and it is from them you will get the best drone for kids. The A20 is the brand's smallest and lightest, making it the best for your child's piloting needs.
The A20 mini drone will fly indoors and outdoors, and it comes with the best features for kids. For instance, it flies in a headless mode, so it's easier for you young one to control, the altitude hold feature to keep it stable when not being piloted, and a single-button takeoff/landing feature for easy control.
Like most drones for kids, the A20 mini drone does not have the strongest batteries, but it also comes with three batteries that give it a fly time of at least 18 minutes. One of the best kids drones out there, it also has partially covered propeller blades to prevent injuries and blade damage.
2. Best Hand-Operated Drone: Force1 Scoot Hand Operated Drone for Kids
- ORIGINAL SCOOT DRONE FOR KIDS: Here’s the first, and the most-loved hand operated...
- INDOOR HOVER DRONE FOR BEGINNERS: Equipped with smart, obstacle avoidance motion...
- DURABLE AND SAFE WEBBED SHELL DESIGN: This flying toy drone is designed with a webbed...
- US-CERTIFIED STEM TOY: This UFO drone toy is a great beginner drone for kids and kids...
- QUALITY ASSURED: Fly this cool self flying sensor drone with family and friends for 8...
If your kid is not ready to pilot a serious drone, you can get them this hand-operated mini drone that comes with powerful sensors to steer it away from obstacles. It is small and lightweight, so your kid will not struggle to get it flying.
It is easy to activate flight, your kid will only need to toss it n the air gently, and it will start hovering around. In addition, it comes with a rechargeable battery that can last up to 8 minutes of continuous flight.
Your kid will love the UFO shape and the three different colors to choose from. However, it may not be the best option for older kids who want to pilot the drone outdoors. It is small and very lightweight; thus, it is only suitable for indoor use as it could easily fly away with the wind.
3. Best for Older Kids: Ryze Tech Tello - Mini Drone Kids with 5MP Camera
- Equipped with a high-quality image processor, the Tello drone shoots incredible...
- Camera features 5MP (2592x1936) photos and HD720 videos at a maximum flight time of...
- Tello has two antennas that make video transmission extra stable and a high-capacity...
- Thanks to all the tech that Tello’s packing, like a flight controller powered by...
- What you get: RyzeTech Tello powered by DJI, 4x Propellers (Pair), Propeller Guards...
When your older kid asks for a drone, you need to consider how it can improve their skills before buying. This drone from Tello is ideal for kids who have an interest in flying and photography.
It comes with a 720p HD camera with a high-quality image processor so your kid can shoot amazing videos. Also, the drone is easy to fly for beginners as it can connect with a smartphone. Moreover, with its two antennas, you will easily transmit recordings to your gadget.
Additionally, the drone has a stronger battery that can last a flight time of up to 13 minutes when recording videos. The propeller blades are also partly covered but not enough to prevent damage or injuries in an accident.
4. Best FPV Drone: SANROCK U61W Drone with Camera for Kids
- ✈【Drone With 720P HD Camera】The drone is equipped with a high-definition camera...
- ✈【Real-Time WIFI FPV Transmission】Operate your drone by app (iOS and Android)...
- ✈【Multifunction Drone】A perfect drone for beginners, kids, starters, or newbies...
- ✈【Safe and Portable】The propellers are wrapped up by 4 protective frames, which...
- ✈【Long Flight Time and Good Service】The drone is accompanied by 2 removable and...
If your kid loves video games or recording live images, this FPV camera drone might be what you need to get them. It comes with a 720p HD camera to shoot live images, and it allows a first-person view of the landscape as the drone soars.
With a headless mode, your kid can concentrate on watching the feed on their smartphone while the drone will avoid obstacles. In addition to the headless mode, the drone also supports Wi-Fi so that you can connect it to a smartphone, and your kid will use it as a remote control.
It comes with two removable and rechargeable batteries, and each battery can last up to 14 minutes of flight time. In addition, the drone supports one-key start/landing, altitude height hold mode, gravity induction, and emergency stops. It also comes with protective frames around the propellers, which can reduce damage in case it crashes.
5. Best for Smaller Kids: Toyk Flying Drone
- Inductive suspension flying toy:There are induction launcher and induction receiver...
- Features:Hovers up to 15 feet - Colorful LED lights - USB charging - Light weight.
- Easy to control:Wireless remote control operation-When the ball is in the air, you...
- Package includes:Flying Ball ×1,USB charging cable ×1,Remote control ×1....
- Safe:When the kid turns on the switch,the ball will be delayed for 3 seconds to fly...
If you want to get a drone for your 5-year-old, you can start by getting this flying ball toy that will keep them engaged. The drone is designed like a small ball that easily fits into tiny hands. It has an induction launcher and receiver at the bottom that lights the ball up and propels it into the air when you press it.
The ball comes with beautiful LED lights and charges easily over a USB cable. In addition, it has sensors that allow it to avoid obstacles when in the air. If you want to land it, the drone also comes with a remote control that has a button that you can press for landing.
The drone takes three seconds after pressing the fly button before it is propelled in the air, and it will also turn off automatically if it hits things to guarantee safety. As a result, it is ideal for flying indoors.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Kids Drones
When looking for the best drones for kids, safety, ease of use, and price are important considerations to make.
While it's one thing to want to invest in a good drone, it is another thing when buying for a child. First, you need to consider how capable your child is of taking care of a drone. If you are buying for an older child, you can spend some more money on a quality drone. If buying for a younger child, it might b better to get an affordable and basic drone.
Luckily, all drones for children are not wildly expensive, and in most cases, you will find a model between $20 to $100. But, unfortunately, the best features such as cameras and Wi-Fi capabilities will cost you more.
When buying a drone, look for one that is age-appropriate for your child. While you can find the manufacturer's recommended age for each drone, you can also approximate how easy a drone will be to use by your child.
c) Where your kid can use the drone
Before buying, ensure you understand if your kid can use the drone indoors or outdoors. The environment where your kid can fly the drone will depend on their age and what they want to achieve. For example, teenagers and older kids will want to explore more with their drones, thus would need drones that can work outdoors.
A younger child will probably want a drone that can fly, so getting one that works indoors would be ideal. Additionally, a younger kid may not be able to control the drone best; thus, it's easier if the drone is confined indoors to prevent it from flying away.
d) Safety features
Drones can be dangerous if they crash or if your kid touches them when they are in flight. This, it is best to look out for safety features such as propeller guards, cages, or shields that would prevent the extent of injury were the drone to fall on your child.
Additionally, look out for the drone design. If you want a drone your kid can easily control, a quadcopter, or a drone with four propellers, is better for lift and torque.
e) Battery life
When you want your kid to enjoy flying the drone, you will also have to consider how long the battery can last before you need to recharge it. Most kids' drones will last anywhere between 8-18 minutes.
What are the Safety Rules You Should Know Before Buying the Best Drones for Kids?
While you have done all the necessary research to get the best drone for your kid, there are government-set rules you will also need to ensure you abide by to fly the drone.
When you understand the potential of any drone, like crashing into a stranger or damaging your neighbor's property, or accidentally filming your neighbor, it is best to take all necessary precautions to preserve peace as your child enjoys piloting the drone.
These are some basic rules you to ensure your kid observes;
- Keeping the drone in clear eyesight so they can control the flight path.
- Not to fly the drone over groups of people or in public spaces.
- Not to fly drones near airports.
- Not to fly the drone near emergencies like fires.
- Not to film any property or person without permission or consent.
Additionally, there are instances where you will be required to register your drone with the Federal Aviation Administration. However, note that your kid has to be at least 13 years old to fly this drone. You will need to register with the FAA if;
- The drone weighs more than 8.8 ounces.
- If the drone is to be used for commercial purposes.
When you register the drone with the FAA, you must stick the registration or ID number to the drone for easier identification.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Drones for Kids
a) At what age should I get my kid a drone?
Drones designed for kids come with different features, starting from design, construction materials, and piloting mode. Thus, when looking to get your kid a drone, you can get a toy drone for a young kid, or you can also get a professional drone for kids older than 13 years old. If you want a toy for your teenager, you will have to register it with the FAA, but only if it exceeds 8.8ounces in weight.
b) Is it legal to have my kid flying a drone?
Yes, no law forbids even the youngest children from flying drones. However, you will need to supervise young kids, so they don't harm people or property when flying a drone. In addition, you will also need to get a drone registered for legal use by a teenager, but only if the drone is heavier than 8.8 ounces.
c) How do I buy a drone for my kid?
When buying a drone for your kid, first understand how easy it is to fly it and how appropriate it is for their age. Additionally, look for covered propellers, a long battery life, and a drone that is easily portable so your kid can take it with him when playing.