Looking for the best double stroller? You’ve come to the right place.
At Infantcore, we’ve spent hundreds of hours testing and researching just to find out the answer for you. Check out our comparison chart and buying guide below to find out the right stroller for your needs.
Hi, I’m Janice Warren, editor in chief for Infantcore. In this section, we’re going to look at the cream of the crop, the best of the best in the world of double strollers, so feel free to scroll down to the type of stroller that you feel is most applicable to your needs.
Having said that, I would urge you to read through each review because if you’re anything like me, you’ll most likely come across a few extra pros and cons on some of the models that you didn’t realize were there.
This guide is intended to simplify matters for you rather than make them more complicated, but it is best to make the most educated decision possible, so let’s take a look at the top double strollers from each category.
- What is a Double Stroller?
- What is the best twin stroller?
- 1. Best Overall Double Stroller
- 2. Best Double Stroller for Infant and Toddler
- 3. Best Double Stroller for Twins
- 4. Best Double Jogging Stroller
- What about More Expensive Strollers?
- Best Double Strollers Above $500
- Best Double Strollers Above $300, but Less Than $500
- Best Double strollers Below $300
- Benefits of Twin/Double Strollers
- Things to Consider Before Buying a Double Stroller
- 1. First and foremost, how much or how often are you going to be using the stroller?
- 2. Flexible Configurations for Infants and Toddlers
- 3. Convertibility
- 4. Will you only use the double stroller for the first year or so of your babies’ lives?
- 5. Do you plan to use a double stroller until your children can walk independently?
- 6. Folded Size
- 7. Infant Car Seat Compatibility
- 8. A few words on Cost
- 9. Brakes
- Types of Double Strollers
- Tips and Tricks
- Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Twin Stroller
What is a Double Stroller?
A double Stroller is a child carrier designed to accommodate two children either in tandem or side by side. In situations where one child sits in front of another, contemporary models come with a raised rear seat to avoid obstructing the child's view at the back. The necessity of a tandem double stroller or a side-by-side double stroller is mainly appreciated by parents of infant twins. Also, parents with children of close young ages find twin strollers to be doable and ideal for saving money.
Notably, a few terms have been used within this concept definition section, but not to worry, you will eventually understand their place when it comes to double strollers. Also, it would pay off selling an old stroller and adding money for investing in a double or twin. Having understood the concept of a twin or double stroller, read on to obtain information to help you choose the best twin stroller.
What is the best twin stroller?
Buy on Amazon
1. Best Overall Double Stroller
Graco UNO2DUO Double Stroller
- The UNO2DUO stroller starts as a single stroller and expands to a double stroller as...
- Simply extend the stroller 5" with one easy step when your family grows from 1 to 2...
- This versatile travel system grows with your family for years with 8 ways to ride...
- Reclining seat converts to an infant bassinet for on-the-go comfort for baby in both...
- Standing platform in the rear of the stroller gives toddlers a fun and easy...
This best-selling double stroller is just about the best product of its kind that money can buy, and with the amount of positive user feedback it has received almost across the board, you can rest assured that you’re getting nothing but the highest-quality, longest-lasting material available.
In particular, we love the UNO2DUO double stroller, for it converts from single to double stroller. At first, you can buy this stroller with one seat, and when there is an additional child, you can buy its second seat for a seamless fitting. Alternatively, you can buy a double stroller best for accommodating infants in bassinet and toddler mode as they grow older.
In addition to the bassinet and toddler seat modes, this stroller allows for 11 versatile ways to use with two children. For example, with two toddlers, you can either use a toddler seat and have the older kid use the standing platform or use the rear and forward toddler seats for two kids or infant twins. Another admirable aspect about this stroller is that its reclining seat allows for conversion to an infant bassinet for enhanced comfort.
As a parent, you will enjoy the flexibility of this stroller to allow your child to face forward or face you. Also, this stroller has a large storage basket for holding accompanying baby items underneath the infant seat. When traveling, this convertible double stroller is compatible with any Graco infant car seat, as enabled by its click-connect system with a single step of securing its one car seat onto the stroller. Finally, when you are done with this stroller, you can easily use one hand to fold it for storage at the back of your car.
2. Best Double Stroller for Infant and Toddler
Graco Roomfor2 Stand and Ride Stroller
Graco is proving itself to be one of the market leaders yet again with this slick and stylish Stand and Ride double stroller that features a tandem seating arrangement and integrated suspension to ensure your toddler standing in the back has a sturdy platform to plant his little feet on. On estimate, this convertible stroller can hold two children weighing a maximum of 50 pounds each.
Furthermore, the front seat can recline in different positions, including lying flat. This Graco model also ranks best double stroller for toddlers and infants since it's compatible with Graco infant car seats through its Click Connect mechanism. For its standing platform, this tandem stroller comes with a padded bench seat for optimal comfort and safety. Even more, your child can interchange between standing and sitting for a relaxed stroll.
When it comes to holding items, this stand double stroller comes with a child tray for holding a child's cup with minimal stroller entry obstruction. Additionally, this tandem stroller has two deep adult cup holders and a large storage basket. After use, you can use the one-hand fold feature of this stroller to easily put this carrier away or at the back of your car while traveling.
The main complaint surrounding the design of this infant-and-toddler stand double stroller is the seat placement, especially when using a car seat in the front, which makes it difficult for the toddler in the back to sit on the bench without having to lean at an awkward angle.
3. Best Double Stroller for Twins
Delta Children City Street LX Side by Side Stroller
- Recommend for children up to 35 pounds; Large European style canopy; 2 storage bags...
- 5 point safety harness; 360 Degree swivel shock absorbing front wheels
- Lightweight frame; Compact umbrella fold for easy storage and travel.Do not use...
- Fits through a standard 30 inch door; Dimensions: 31.2 inch W x 29.6 inch D x 37.3...
- Product weight: 18.3 pounds; Meets or exceeds all ASTM and CPSC Standards and JPMA...
This lightweight yet highly durable double stroller features a side-by-side seating arrangement with a deceptively large amount of storage for such a compact model. As the best lightweight double stroller, this delta model promises a smooth ride with shock-absorbing front wheels and a comfy recline. Precisely, its seat's recline can be adjusted in different positions depending on your child's needs.
The Delta City Street Side by Side Stroller is a slightly cheaper alternative to some of the more expensive higher-end equivalents, but it certainly still seems to hold up to the test of time. Among side-by-side strollers, this Delta umbrella model is the double stroller best for twins. Remarkably, the canopy feature of this umbrella stroller is adequate to protect your child against the sun or wind.
It also comes with wide doors for easy exploration that easily allows your child in and out of the toddler seat. Also, this carrier offers the feel of a luxury double stroller with soft shoulder pads and five safety harness points. For convenience, this double umbrella stroller comes with two hanging storage compartments for carrying baby essentials and a cup-holder for a parent.
You can find this stroller in diverse fashionable colors. However, the most glaring shortfall of this side-by-side stroller is that it has a sub-par reclining feature, but if you are looking for a low-end model to really get the most bang for your buggy buck, then it is still well worth considering.
4. Best Double Jogging Stroller
Baby Trend Expedition Double Jogger, Elixer
- Lockable front swivel wheel for ease of maneuverability and pneumatic bicycle tires
- Ratcheting shade canopy. Care and Maintenance - To clean the seat pad, use only mild...
- Convenient parent tray with 2 cup holders and a covered storage compartment
- 5-point safety harness.Lightweight, sturdy construction
With its aluminum and plastic stroller frame, the Baby Trend Expedition Double Jogger is ideally suited to all you parents out there who want a stroller that will stand up to a more active lifestyle. This double stroller is made for two infants or toddlers with bicycle tires for easy maneuverability on any surface. Additionally, the front wheel is lockable for safety and stability while jogging. In case you are using this product for a leisure stroll, you can just unlock the front wheel for enhanced maneuverability.
You’ll also notice that this model includes a very secure seating and fastening arrangement so that you can confidently move around at a brisk pace without having to worry about your precious cargo coming loose. This baby jogger stroller also comes with a shade canopy for protecting your child against the sun and wind as your jog.
For user convenience, this double baby jogger stroller comes with two cup holders and an adequate storage compartment. Even more, its two seats come with five points of safety harnesses and multi-position reclining seats but are not as flexible as those of a Baby Trend Sit n Stand model. As a parent, you will also enjoy its easy care requirements that only need mild detergent, warm water and a clean cloth.
It should be noted that this stroller is one of Amazon’s top choices under Double Jogging Stroller while writing this topic.
What about More Expensive Strollers?
If you’re considering purchasing a more expensive stroller in the $300 – 600 price range, then you will, of course, want to think about what you are actually getting for that extra money.
Sometimes you might find that for some unknown reason, your child simply cannot stand a higher-end model, while they may really enjoy riding around in what we might consider being a cheap piece of junk!
Durability isn’t really a factor that you will typically need to concern yourself with when purchasing a stroller upwards of $500 because you can find models for literally half the price that will offer just as much longevity.
Below are some of the better strollers that fall into this price range.
Best Double Strollers Above $500
5. Baby Jogger 2014 City Select Stroller w/2nd Seat
- Most versatile stroller on the market today, the City Select was designed to keep...
- Now sold with the Second Seat Kit included, the City Select Double is allows parents...
- Over 16 different combinations from double tiered car seats to a bassinet and single...
This robust and rather stylish stroller features a tandem seating arrangement. Also, it comes complete with a Second Seat Kit that enables you to use the stroller with just a single seat, so if one child wants to stay home, then you’ve got the ideal option.
In addition, this baby jogger city select tandem stroller can hold two toddlers with a maximum of 45 pounds each. Its stroller frame is lightweight with effective front wheels for smooth maneuverability as you keep your infants or toddlers comfortable. For convenient storage, this baby jogger city select stroller comes with a quick-fold feature. Eventually, this Baby Jogger City Select Tandem stroller has an easy switch feature for changing between single and twin seating arrangements with an array of 16 different seating positions.
6. BOB Revolution SE Duallie Stroller
- Smooth ride: Suspension system & Air filled tires provide an ultra-smooth ride over...
- Perfect Fit: Adjustable handlebar creates the perfect fit for parents of all heights;...
- Extra space: 10 storage pockets and extra-large cargo basket provide plenty of room...
- Travel system ready: Compatible with most major brand car seats with the use of a BOB...
- Fit: Birth to 50 lbs per seat (100 lbs total); 0 to 8 weeks when used with compatible...
The BOB Revolution SE Duallie Stroller is available in a variety of gender-neutral colors, making it the ideal choice for families who are planning to have one, two, or even three more children in the future without having to purchase a brand new model with a different color.
- Enjoy a jogging wheel format with front swivel wheels that can be adjusted from swivel to fixed position and then back again within seconds.
- Wheel suspension ensures your little ones will be comfy all day long. In addition, its wheels are air-filled for an extra smooth ride on any terrain.
- The double stroller seats are extremely padded with full reclining options for even more comfort. As if that's not enough, its infinite recline options are operated using a button.
- Two-step folding enables you to pack up this stroller very easily
- Compatible with BOB Infant Car Seat Adapter and Snack Tray. Subsequently, this stroller is compatible with most major brands of infant car seats.
- The Bob Revolution is another pick for the best twin stroller because it uniquely accommodates parents of all heights with an adjustable handlebar. Accordingly, this stroller comes with a harness that doesn't require rethreading for flexible height adjustments.
- At its handlebar, this stroller has a cell phone pocket in addition to its six storage pockets and a large baby cargo storage basket.
Best Double Strollers Above $300, but Less Than $500
7. Baby Jogger City Tour 2 Double Stroller, Jet
- Compact lightweight stroller design fits through a standard doorway, making getting...
- Double stroller with ultra-compact fold and auto-lock for easy transportation and...
- Stroll from birth with two carry cot infant bassinets or with two toddlers
- Lightweight and durable rubber composite tires provide a smooth and nimble ride....
- Adjustable calf support provides customizable comfort for baby
This model is another jogger-style double stroller that is designed for all you active parents out there. Specifically, this model is ideal for those who want to stand up to everyday wear and tear as well as more extreme situations like long-distance hiking on uneven ground. This Baby Jogger City Tour model is also considered to be a lightweight double stroller with a compact build that enables it to fit through standard doorways for easier urban maneuverability with two kids.
Most suitably, this stroller can be used with babies in the bracket of 0-24 months, with each seat able to hold a maximum of 33 pounds. Moreover, this double stroller is ideal for use with two infant bassinets or two toddlers coupled with 5-point safety harnesses. Its tires also contribute to its efficiency due to their durable composite rubber tires that ensure a smooth ride coupled with front swivel wheel suspension for enhanced maneuverability. Eventually, this double stroller ensures optimal baby comfort with an adjustable calf support feature which is also customizable.
8. Britax B-Lively Double Stroller
- All new side by side double stroller with infant car seat compatibility,...
- Travel system ready: compatible with 1 Britax or BOB infant car seat (adapter sold...
- Lightweight stroller with all wheel suspension, linked parking brake, and...
- Extra-large storage basket, 6 pockets, independent infinite reclining seats and...
- Fit: Birth to 50 pounds each seat; maximum unfolded dimensions 40.75 l x 31.5 w x...
This stylish double stroller features a side-by-side seating format which is just as easy to fold as many self-proclaimed compact or lightweight models, making it the ideal choice for those of you who want robustness and compactness in a single stylish unit. Besides its lightweight frame, this stroller comes will an all-wheel suspension, parking brakes and self-standing feature after folding.
Moreover, this stroller is built with compatibility to two infant car seats for a travel-ready system that works well with BOB or Britax infant car seats. Another exciting aspect about this stroller is that it is ideal for kids up to six years, with each seat able to carry 50 pounds. Additionally, when it comes to its storage capacity, this stroller comes with an adequate storage basket and six additional pockets for baby gear.
Even more, this Britax double stroller comes with an infinite reclining feature and a quick fold function. Eventually, offers easy maneuverability on most surfaces but isn't favored by uneven surfaces.
Best Double strollers Below $300
9. Baby Trend Expedition Double Jogger, Griffin
- Multi-position reclining seats are independently adjustable to keep each child...
- Five-point safety harnesses ensure a safe trip. Maximum Height: 42 inches. To clean...
- Ratcheting canopy shields your little ones from the elements, while the peekaboo...
- Generously sized storage baskets accommodate bigger items. Recommended Use: 6 m - 50...
- Parent tray features a covered storage compartment and two cup holders; JPMA...
Stylish, storage-heavy, incredibly maneuverable, the Baby Trend Expedition Double Jogging Stroller features two locking swivel wheels on the front instead of the usual one to provide an amazing degree of handling comparable to similar models priced far higher. Additionally, this stroller has seats that recline in different positions just like a Baby Trend sit n stand model, depending on different child needs.
As you go jogging with your family, this Double Jogger Stroller has composite tires with a locking front wheel feature for stability. You can otherwise unlock the front wheels for enhanced maneuverability as you stroll leisurely. Regarding your child's safety, this stroller has five-point harnesses and a ratcheting canopy for protection against elements such as sun rays and wind.
This stylish stroller also comes with convenient features such as a generous storage basket, two cup holders, covered storage pockets and an adult tray for items such as phones. In the end, this stroller is travel-friendly with a quick fold feature.
Benefits of Twin/Double Strollers
1. Cost-Effective Transportation
A baby comes with additional financial implications that require parents to make wise money choices and decisions. Exceptionally, if you plan to have kids in quick succession, a double stroller would be cost-effective for two kids. In comparison to having a stroller for each kid, you can simply buy a double stroller for your twins or even as you wait for a second child. Having a double stroller is also beneficial in the sense that you will only have one to push if you are alone.
Double strollers are also versatile to different baby carry positions. As such, you have the option of replacing a stroller seat (s) with one or two infant car seats and bassinets for newly born infants. This versatile application is primarily compatible with a tandem double stroller where you can have a toddler seat and an infant carriage.
Accordingly, you can have a tandem stroller with room for a stand-on platform in place of a rear seat. A standing bench is ideal for older kids who often get on and off a stroller. Some tandem double strollers also allow for an additional glider attachment to accommodate three kids like a triple stroller. Whether as a double stroller or a triple stroller, baby carriers help avoid squabbles as they see or play with each other as their parents enjoy a peaceful stroll.
3. Travel Friendliness
In fact, each alternative for the best twin stroller on our list is travel-friendly with easy and compact folding features. As a result, contemporary double strollers are easy to store away in your garage or trunk as you travel. Then, on a need basis, you will only be required to unfold them and place your children in without much assembly.
4. Sleek Designs
A carrier for two kids might sound bulky and oversized, but they're, in fact, sleek in design. For instance, the tandem strollers are most efficient for fitting in most standard doorways. Additionally, side by side strollers also come in narrow widths for easy maneuverability.
5. Car Seat Compatibility
Lastly, the double stroller, especially the tandem design, offers additional compatibility to car seats. As a result, car seat compatibility provides more effortless movement from a car to a stroller, and the opposite is true. Car seat compatibility also helps avoid disrupting the sleep of your little ones. Considering the enhanced safety of car seats, you can also be sure that the same will be safe when transferred to a stroller.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Double Stroller
Always keep the axiom “knowledge is power” firmly planted in your mind throughout the entire purchasing process because this is what will help you make an educated decision that you won’t regret.
Besides this old adage, there are a couple of basic things that you’ll want to consider before buying your stroller.
1. First and foremost, how much or how often are you going to be using the stroller?
This aspect is perhaps the most crucial question to ask yourself before making your final decision because it will help you determine a few things, namely the type of stroller you opt for and the budget you dedicate to the purchase.
Will you use the stroller every day or only once a week?
Will you use it for a quick five-minute walk to the store?
Will you use it for long walks in the park during the summer months?
Once you’ve figured out roughly how often you’ll be using the stroller, you’ll be one step closer to establishing your budget.
Another question that might help you with this is that of how long you plan to use the stroller.
Asking yourself these questions should certainly help you determine how frequently you will use the double stroller.
Even as considered the frequency of use for your double stroller, you should also remember to factor in its use. Based on use, different double strollers come with different designs and weights. Some of the common uses of strollers include:
- City walks: These strolls are best suited by any model which is lightweight and has an umbrella for child protection.
- Traveling: The best double strollers for this use should have an umbrella and have a compact fold.
- Jogging: With this use, you can fall back to jogging strollers with smooth-riding wheels, mostly air-filled tires.
- Uneven terrain walks: For this use, you can consider strollers built for all terrains with easy maneuvering wheels.
2. Flexible Configurations for Infants and Toddlers
The best twin stroller should be reconfigured to meet the needs of both children and parents. Among our top recommendations for twin strollers, some models come with diverse carrying configurations, including bassinets, reclining seats and standing benches. For instance, you can have a toddler seat and infant car seat on the same stroller. Even more, you can have a stroller with two infant car seats facing you or facing each other.
You can also fit other car seats onto your stroller for enhanced safety. You should also consider getting seats with a flexible seat recline feature for easy adjustments that ensure maximum comfort. Besides the configurations relating to a toddler seat, you might want to consider a stroller with an adjustable height.
Therefore, we recommend investing in a double stroller that allows for most if not all of your preferred configurations. Also, always ensure that the featured configurations are suitable for your kids, depending on their age. Overall, configurations allow for easy flexibility as children advance in age and circumstances change.
Luckily, most contemporary double strollers come with convertible designs. In essence, convertibility often refers to the ability to change from a single to a double stroller and vice versa.
In most cases, it is best to get convertible strollers compatible with most car seats available in the market. You will often need to buy a separate universal car seat adapter for attaching two car seats. Also, as part of convertibility, we recommend getting car seats that recline for maximum comfort on the stroller.
Convertibility also includes the idea of having an all-terrain double stroller that can also be used during jogging. Therefore, features such as front-wheel locks and all-wheel suspension allow for such convertibility features. Lastly, the best convertible strollers should come with an adjustable handlebar for easy configuration of car seats.
4. Will you only use the double stroller for the first year or so of your babies’ lives?
If so, you might want to look into a double pram, as this will be more than accommodating if you do not require a seating arrangement that will allow them to sit up.
If so, you should also consider the size and weight of your select stroller. Essentially, double strollers tend to be larger in size and weight than their single counterparts. So, these strollers can be inconveniencing if you don't look closely at the features different models offer.
For instance, be conscious about using your stroller in different places as your child grows older. In light of such dynamics, you should consider getting a stroller with a sleek size for fitting in standard doorways. Asides from doorways, also consider the compatibility of your stroller's size with your usual surrounding.
In addition to length and width, you should consider the weight of your stroller for purposes of carrying it around. In light of this consideration, you should get a stroller with a lightweight frame that won't get bulky even with the attachment of two infant car seats. Thinking about it, a heavy stroller with heavy infant car seats can be hectic to carry downstairs or even out of your car trunk. Therefore, we recommend getting a lightweight stroller and car seats for easy portability.
5. Do you plan to use a double stroller until your children can walk independently?
If so, you’ll definitely find it worthwhile spending a little more on a high-quality model that will provide more outstanding durability and overall longevity while being adjustable enough to remain comfortable as your little ones start to become, well, not so little!
Another useful activity that will help you determine your budget is to grab a pen and paper and make a list of the features you are looking for in a double stroller.
Here are just some of the features you may or may not seek as a priority:
- Diaper Bags. Used diapers should be stored in a separate compartment to avoid contamination of other baby stuff.
- Rain Covers. These features come as part of canopies for protecting your child against rain. Specifically, train covers should be at least water-resistant to buy you time to get your child to safety.
- Food Trays and storage. Always consider buying strollers with adequate food storage allowances even for future considerations. Even more, you should avoid food storage compartments located at footrests to avoid mixing shoe dirt with baby stuff.
- Toy Storage Compartments. Similar to food storage, these should also be located away from footrests to avoid mixing with dirt from baby shoes. Don't forget that babies also put toys in their mouths.
- Integrated Parasols. These features also come as part of the canopy function and have a foldable function for protecting your children against sun rays and wind. Even more, parasols should come with a peek-a-boo window for checking on your babies with minimal disturbance. Ideally, magnetic closures tend to be silent and best for regular checks on your sleeping babies.
- Suspension and Shock Absorption. These features are for ensuring optimal child safety and comfort. All-wheel suspension ensures that your stroller wheels maneuver any terrain smoothly. For shock absorption, it ensures that your children are protected against occasional bumps that may make rides uncomfortable. Notably, bumps might be very uncomfortable for newborns, and therefore maximum shock absorption is required for such conditions.
- Recline. Different stroller models in the market recline differently. Also, remember that newborns shouldn't sit upright for long to avoid health complications. Accordingly, you should consider the recline feature that suits the age of your child.
You’ll find it a lot easier to put this list together after deciding how frequently and for how long you plan on using the stroller.
6. Folded Size
Besides having a foldable stroller, you should also consider its size when it's folded. Foldable features are continually being improved for the creation of the ultimate travel-friendly strollers. While folded, your select stroller should be able to fit the trunk of your car or your storage space.
Additionally, when folded, the best strollers should be able to stand on their own for easy packing. Finally, while folded, a stroller should also have an easy carrying function to avoid opening and hurting you.
7. Infant Car Seat Compatibility
If you intend to own infant car seats, it will help to get a stroller compatible with these features. Alternatively, you can have one infant car seat for converting your single stroller to a double one by adding it as the front or rear seat. The best car seat compatibility allows for reconfigurations between infant and toddler seats using universal car seat adapters.
8. A few words on Cost
One of the most prominent and important factors to consider when buying a double stroller is that of cost.
There can be a huge amount of variety when it comes to the price of strollers, and depending on your budget, you may end up spending as much as $1,000+ or as little as $100 or even less.
The majority of strollers will typically fall in the $200 – 300 price range, and the higher in the price we go, the larger the jumps are until we reach a maximum of around $1,000 – $1,200.
There are many double strollers available for less than a hundred bucks, and with the exception of families who are looking to use them for a specific purpose, these are generally best avoided.
Furthermore, the price range of $700 – $1,000+ is generally not going to be viable for many of you who are reading this guide, so we will be focusing predominantly on low-to-mid range strollers. We will, however, take a closer look at slightly more expensive models a little later.
As with many baby-related items, you are making an investment when you buy a double stroller, or at least it would be advisable to look at the purchase in this manner.
Generally speaking, the more you invest in your double stroller, the longer-lasting it is likely to be and the more features you will be able to enjoy. On the other hand, if you don’t currently have the funds available for a large purchase, then a smaller and more short-term investment might be more appropriate.
There are obviously going to be higher-end models that are more aptly described as luxury purchases, and these often don’t really provide anything beyond unnecessary additional features and pricier materials that may or may not affect the longevity or functionality of the stroller.
The best thing you can do is look at your double stroller purchase in the broader context of everything you have to buy for your baby or babies, including cribs, clothing, toys, and so on. The concept of investment will help you to make more context-appropriate purchases that take not just cost but all other factors into consideration.
The best double strollers come with brakes for the optimal safety of your children. Prior to paying for your select stroller, it is always advisable to check how and if the brakes work. Depending on the model, braking systems might vary.
Reasonably, we recommend investing in a stroller with an easy braking system that won't require you to bend to lock or unlock occasionally. In particular, hilly terrains tend to be challenging for brakes that require your to bend. Fortunately, the double strollers of 2021 have been manufactured as per ASTM safety standards, meaning they come with tested braking systems.
Types of Double Strollers
1. Double “Side-by-Side” Strollers
Perhaps the most common variety of double strollers, the side-by-side design is exactly as it sounds, enabling both of your little ones to sit next to each other rather than in single file as with a tandem stroller.
The main disadvantage of this design is obviously its width, and you may have a little trouble getting through narrower passageways.
On the other hand, most manufacturers are aware of this design flaw and are now producing side-by-side twin strollers that are far narrower.
2. Double Jogging Strollers
This type of double stroller features three wheels, making it more suitable for active parents who want to move a little more rapidly.
You don’t necessarily have to be a runner to benefit from a double jogging stroller, as the front wheel is great at navigating uneven terrain.
The main downside to this style of double stroller is its lack of maneuverability, especially when compared to other designated all-terrain strollers
3. All-Terrain Double Strollers
If you like the robust nature of the double jogging stroller, but with something that is a little easier to maneuver, then you might want to consider an all-terrain double stroller.
The easiest way to think of this variety is like the SUV of strollers, and unlike the double jogging stroller, the all-terrain variety allows you to lock the front wheel for better handling.
4. Tandem Double Strollers
Tandem strollers are designed to be a little more streamlined as the seats are placed in single file, unlike their side-by-side counterparts.
It isn’t uncommon to see jogging and even all-terrain double strollers available in the tandem format; however, this style certainly isn’t without its limitations.
The single-file seating arrangement can sometimes limit the amount of space for the child in the backseat, and let’s not forget the inevitable arguments that are going to arise over who gets to sit in the front once they reach the Terrible Twos!
5. Umbrella Double Strollers
This style is very well suited to those of you who don’t have a lot of space at home and want something that you can fold up and tuck away.
Just like an umbrella, this type of stroller folds up within a matter of seconds and even features curved and angled handles that I personally think are a little easier on the wrists.
One thing to watch out for with a double umbrella stroller is that the seats won’t always lower into a completely flat position, so they might not be ideal for newborns.
6. Sit and Stand Strollers
This variety of double stroller is designed for families who are making a second addition to their litter as it enables the older child to stand up in the back while the newborn or younger one sits up front.
The standing arrangement is best suited to children over two years of age, and of course, if their little legs get tired, they can sit down.
For instance, the Trend Sit n Stand Stroller is great for giving the older sibling a greater feeling of freedom and independence because they can stand, sit, or even step out and walk alongside mum/mom and dad as they see fit.
7. Travel Double Stroller
This stroller type is closely similar to an umbrella stroller, only that it folds compact into a small size and is lightweight. However, even in their inherent lightweight structure, travel double strollers should also be heavy-duty to withstand diverse conditions while traveling. In addition, travel double strollers are more expensive than their umbrella counterparts with overall improved quality.
Furthermore, travel double strollers come with full-size canopies and additional convenient features such as more storage compartments and cup holders. As a result of the additional features and enhanced quality, travel double strollers tend to be heavier but with an additional car seat compatibility.
With the help of car seat adapters, you can use an infant car seat or tow with these strollers. For all kid ages, this type of stroller is built with maximum safety as enabled by five-point harnesses. But, overall, strollers in this category are not budget-friendly, and you can do without them on short trips and alternatively use umbrella strollers.
8. Convertible Double Stroller
Interestingly enough, not all double strollers come with two seats. Notably, some come as single strollers with the option of adding an extra seat. By all standards, these models are the most practical twin strollers in the market if you are working with the anticipation of an extra child. Ideally, these strollers come with compatibility with car seats, and there are some brands with extra seats sold separately.
The good thing about convertible double strollers is that they can be optimized using numerous possible configurations, with some having over ten configurations. Nonetheless, the seats might not match, leaving one seat mediocre.
Tips and Tricks
Following a few interactions with moms and parents with infants and toddlers, we discovered a few tricks and creativities for making double strollers work for you. So, let's say you have a single stroller, and you are out of money to change it for a double stroller; here are a few tips for handling two babies with what you have:
- Adding a glider board to a single stroller. This tip converts your single stroller to a sit and climb option. Ideally, you can have the younger baby sit while the other active older child stands. This sit n stand method is additionally efficient for kids who never want to sit on a stroller.
- Using a moby wrap in addition to a single stroller. A moby wrap is efficient for younger infants who aren't heavy and big to carry. The other child, in this case, is expected to go on the stroller while standing or sitting. Mainly, this tip works for kids that are apart in age. However, it is not best when both of your kids are hyperactive.
- Have a scooter for your older child and a single stroller for your younger baby. This method is particularly ideal with cooperative children, especially the one on the scooter. Therefore, you can take a leisure stroll with both kids without the worry of having the older one on the scooter wander off. This tip applies to kids that have a more significant age gap, like three years.
Nevertheless, these tips can be bypassed with the help of double strollers. So, all in all, getting the best double stroller is now easier with the help of this guide, but we've got you covered with these tips and tricks.
So there we have it, the pick of the bunch and all the information you could ever possibly need to find a double stroller that will give you all the features you need while also providing a decent amount of longevity.
Of course, you are always going to get what you pay for, and if you like the idea of a certain style of a double stroller and want something with, say, a greater weight capacity or a more lightweight frame that won’t sacrifice durability, then you can always dedicate a larger portion of your budget to a more high-end model.
More often than not, the best deals are to be found online, particularly on sites like Amazon, but if at all possible, I would strongly urge you to visit some stores in your local area so that you can see the physical product for yourself before making your final purchase.
I hope this has helped you move a little closer to making your decision, or perhaps even sealing the deal and taking the plunge with what is to become your new double stroller!
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Twin Stroller
1. Should I get a double stroller with a 4-year-old?
There are no specific stroller guidelines that dictate the age limit of babies to use with strollers. However, kids between 4 and 5 years should not be using strollers. On estimate, this transition to stroller-free handling begins at around 3 years for enabling confident walking with easy understanding of parents' directions.
2. Can you run with a Baby Jogger City Mini GT2?
No, you cannot jog with the Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 similar to any Baby Jogger City Mini stroller model. Alternatively, you can use this City mini GT2 stroller while making leisure strolls for guaranteed baby safety.