Skateboarding is one of the most enjoyable and fulfilling things for children and adults to learn. It makes it easier to move across distances within minimal time, and the stunts can be fun to master. However, if you want your kids to get familiar with skateboarding quickly, you'll need to buy the best beginner skateboard for kids.
With the numerous options, it can be tricky to pin down a specific model. This post covers the best kid skateboard reviews and what you need to consider to make the ideal choice.
- 1. Meketec Skateboard
- 2. Skatro Mini Cruiser Skateboard
- 3. Magneto Mini Cruiser Skateboard
- 4. Merkapa Skateboard
- 5. NPet Pro Skateboard
- 6. Minority Maple Skateboard
- 7. Krown Rookie Complete Skateboard
- Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Beginner Skateboard for Kids
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Meketec Skateboard
- Meketec Unique Technology - The strong 3.25 inch trucks with different color with...
- Performance - High speed abec 7 meketec Bearings; 60mm Urethane wheels; 22.5 inch...
- High Value - Meketec Unusual skateboard appearance outperforms many of the leading...
- Advantage - Take this board on the park, school and road with ease, It’s the best...
- Easy to Use- With CE certification, this well-built skateboard is safe to ride and...
Opening our list today is the Meketec Complete Mini Cruiser Skateboard which weighs 3lbs and measures 22 inches long. It's specially designed to be compact so that you can easily move around with it without any hassle. Whether you want to learn how to commute or skateboard, this kids skateboard will facilitate your movement even if you are a beginner.
This plastic cruiser is made from durable polypropylene to ensure it's light enough for you to practice without feeling weighed down. It can roll or cruise on any terrain, thanks to its quality construction. The Meketec Mini Cruiser also features high-speed bearings, polyurethane wheels, and a max load weight of about 200lbs.
It is meant to be easy to use and has CE certification, making it the best beginner skateboard for kids since it can accommodate riders of any level.
2. Skatro Mini Cruiser Skateboard
Next up is the Skatro Skateboard, which is among the best kids skateboards thanks to its lightweight construction and premium quality materials. It comes with ABEC 7 bearings, Urethane wheels, and thick aluminum trucks, making it a reliable option for rolling around.
This mini skateboard is ideal for commuting around the subway, park, or school. Plus, since it's light enough, you can carry it to a location you feel comfortable practicing in. It's designed to be easy to use, even for a kid starting their skateboarding journey.
This Skatro product is fitted with Skatro Flexy Technology which gives it a better performance than other beginner skateboards. Additionally, it comes at an affordable cost and includes a standard T-tool that matches the color of your board.
3. Magneto Mini Cruiser Skateboard
- SUPER PORTABLE Designed to be fun to ride and easy to carry around, this is our go-to...
- DOUBLE KICKTAILS Double kick tails add fun and versatility to the mini cruiser...
- HIGH QUALITY DECK Manufactured from 6 full plies of Canadian Maple, the deck is very...
- STURDY TRUCKS The trucks are made from quality gravity cast aluminum making them...
- Length = 27.5" | Width = 7.5" | Wheelbase = 18.5"
The Magneto Mini Cruiser Skateboard is fun to ride and easy to carry, which is great for kids of any level, especially beginners. It features durable Canadian maple construction, making it a durable and reliable option that you can use to cruise around obstacles.
If you want to learn how to execute various tricks, flips, ollies, or mannies, this skateboard comes with a double kicktail to facilitate that. The six-ply Canadian maple wood deck is strong enough to support the weight of a 200lb adult, which means it can comfortably hold your kid without breaking under their weight.
To ensure you won't slip off the board, this item features a sand grit finish that makes it safer for younger kids to ride.
4. Merkapa Skateboard
- CLASSIC MINI SKATEBOARD: Fully assembled and ready to hit the streets right out of...
- FAST AND SMOOTH RIDE: Soft 60 mm PU wheels and ABEC-7 bearings feature shock...
- COLORFUL LIGHT UP WHEELS: LED wheels are rotary powered and light up while riding...
- PERFECT FOR ALL LEVELS: CE certified and suitable for any level of riders from...
Next on this list of the best beginner skateboards for kids is the Merkapa Complete Skateboard, which comes with colorful LED light-up wheels that don't need batteries or chargers to work. This makes them one of the coolest option for your kid since the wheels will light up the entire way as they spin.
This CE certified skateboard is safe for any skill level and is especially suited for beginners starting to learn how to skateboard. It's long and strong enough to withstand the weight of anyone below 180 lbs. This means that your kid can move around on this kid skateboard without fear of breaking it.
The soft wheels and ABEC-7 bearings have shock-absorbing capabilities that ensure it can resist abrasion while improving grip to ensure you feel stable on top of the deck when rolling.
5. NPet Pro Skateboard
- HIGH QUALITY: 7 layers maple wood, PU wheels, stainless alloy bearing. 31"(787mm) x...
- HIGH REBOUND SMOOTH ROLL: 95A High-rebound PU wheels provide great roll and grip....
- SANDPAPER ON TOP: High density emery non-slip and waterproof surface makes you safer...
- SKATEBOARDS FOR BEGINNERS: Anyone is able to ride this standard skateboard, and...
- LOYAL SERVICE: 30 Days Money Back Guarantee, Lifetime Quality Guarantee. If You Have...
The NPet Pro is the fifth-best beginners skateboard for kids, thanks to its stylish appearance, which uses thermal transfer film production for a long-lasting and realistic pattern. As such, you don't have to worry about the design fading off with time as it does in cheap skateboards.
The maple deck is made of seven-ply layers and feature a cover grip tape across the top to ensure maximum safety for your kid as they ride this skateboard. The size of this item is perfect for a beginner to intermediate rider and can make it easier to learn various skateboarding techniques and tricks.
You can enjoy great control on this skateboard thanks to the dual concave design and double kick feature, making it more playable. Your feet will be well-positioned to carry out the stunts you have been practicing with minimal risk of instability.
6. Minority Maple Skateboard
- SOLID : 100% maple deck, 7-ply hardrock maple cold pressed into 32x8-Inch deck, Max...
- STRENGTH : 5-Inch trucks are casted by genuine alluminium alloy, equipped with carbon...
- SPEED : ABEC-9 precision bearings are forged by chrome steel, work with 52mm 102A PU...
- SMOOTH : Rest your heart when cutting corners. The boards has passed maneuverability...
- STYLE : Strikingly attractive graphics range from trendy to vintage, make boards...
The Minority Skateboard is the next option on this review of the best skateboards for kids. It features a 100% maple deck that is strong enough to support up to 220 lbs. This means your kids can enjoy riding it all day without any fear that it will give out under their weight.
The mediate concave design ensures that you can perform stunts and tricks with this skateboard with ease. The aluminum trucks are thick enough for better strength and stability so that you can ride this skateboard safely.
The chrome steel ABEC-9 precision bearings are designed for speed, making it easier to pull off the tricks you have been learning. The stylish appearance makes this skateboard a great gift option for your kids.
7. Krown Rookie Complete Skateboard
- Canadian Maple Construction
- 7.5-Inch x 31-Inch Deck
- 52mm Urethane Krown Graphic Wheels
- 5.0" Aluminum Trucks
- Black Grip tape
Lastly, we have the Krown Rookie Skateboard, which features premium quality materials that make it one of the best skateboards for kids. The complete board is perfectly suited for beginners, and the deck has black grip tape to reduce the chances of slipping as you ride on this skateboard.
The PU wheels are smooth enough for you to move as swiftly as you want with maximum control. You won't have to struggle to assemble this skateboard since it comes assembled and ready to ride. Young children will enjoy riding this item on any terrain, including rough surfaces, without fear of instability.
- Ideal for younger children
- Lightweight board
- Solid deck
- Five-inch aluminum trucks
- You'll need an Allen Key, which is not included
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Beginner Skateboard for Kids
1. Types of Kids Skateboards
A micro skateboard is one with a deck width of between 6.5 - 6.75 inches. They can reach an average length of 27 inches and are best suited for young kids under 6 years of age. They aren't a great option for taller kids since they can only accommodate a child who fits in a shoe size of 3 or below.
Mini Cruiser Skateboards are designed for moving across short distances. They are small-sized, which makes them easy to carry in your backpack. These skateboards aren't the best for tricks or fast movements.
These skateboards are longer than 33 inches. They are ideal for practising how to maneuver for beginners and can help kids develop stability on the deck. They can ride smoothly even on rough ground.
2. Skateboard Safety
Before selecting the best skateboard for kids, you'll need to consider getting some safety gear. This is the best way to ensure that children don't get severely injured if an accident happens. One of the things to get is a pair of wrist guards which can reduce the chances of dislocating or breaking the wrists.
Another item necessary for ensuring kids' safety is elbow pads. These are crucial since children could fall on their elbow, which can be excruciating. A helmet will also ensure that the head doesn't directly impact any hard surfaces, which can lead to a concussion. You should also get a pair of knee pads to ensure the knees are well protected from injury.
3. Deck Width
The size of the deck is another thing you should consider. What you need to determine the ideal deck width is the height and shoe size of your child. For a younger kid wearing a size six or smaller shoe and with a height of 4'4 feet, a width of 7 inches or less will do.
For kids wearing a size 6 -8 shoe and with a height of 4'5 to 5'2 feet, you should look for a width of about 7-7.5 inches. Older kids can handle anything above 7.5".
4. Deck Shape
The deck of the skateboard is the platform on which you stand when riding. It can be made from different materials, which is why we have wooden skateboards and plastic skateboards. Others feature unique materials like a fiberglass compound deck.
These decks come in different shapes, including radial concave decks, progressive decks, tub boards, convex boards, kick tails, flat decks, or camber boards. The best choice depends on preference, but a concave deck could provide more stability to beginners than other types.
5. Skateboard Trucks
As you consider the trucks of the best beginner skateboard for kids, you'll need to check on the material used, width, and height. First, you'll need to ensure the tracks are made of durable materials like aluminum. The width of the trucks will mostly depend on the type of deck you choose. For kids, you'll want an average thickness of about 5 inches.
The height of the trucks varies between low, mid-level, and high settings. Low trucks or mid-level trucks are the best options for beginners since they offer stability and smoothness.
6. Skateboard Wheels
Skateboard wheels can be soft or hard. The harder wheels are designed for fast movements, while the softer ones are better suited for a smooth ride. So, if you prefer control to speed, soft wheels will be a better choice than hard ones.
Wheels can also take different sizes. They are measured in millimetres, and the most ideal for kids is the 54-59 mm range. These wheels will do well in parks, streets, or bowls. They are large enough for fast movements while also being smooth to cruise on.
7. Grip Tape
Another feature you want in a kid's skateboard is the grip tape. It's important for the deck to have grip tape to help the child start skateboarding without feeling unstable. This tape is designed to keep your feet from slipping off the deck as you move about.
The grip tape should begin from the middle of the board and press towards the outer edges of the deck. Having it will ensure you feel enough grip on the board to move without the fear of slipping off. Without it, it'll be harder to learn how to skateboard, which beats the purpose of buying the best skateboard for kids.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best beginner skateboard for kids?
The best beginner skateboard for kids is the Meketec Complete Mini Cruiser Skateboard, a cheap skateboard made from high-quality materials that are easy to handle for kids.
2. What is the best size skateboard for beginners kids?
The ideal deck width for a kid's skateboard is between 6-7.5 inches depending on their exact height and shoe size.
3. What kind of kids skateboard is best for beginners?
A mini-cruiser is the best option for beginners since it is small, portable, and easy to manoeuvre to avoid obstacles.