As a parent or caregiver, the safety of your baby is your top priority. As you keep them safe every day, you also look forward to certain milestones such as crawling and walking. While mobility excites you, it also comes with terrifying realities of how unsafe it can be if your baby snuck towards the stairway. The best baby gate for stairs is a welcome safety addition, as you will see in this article.
- What Is a Baby Gate?
- 1. Regalo Easy Step Baby Gate
- 2. Summer Infant Walk Through Baby Gate
- 3. Toddleroo by North States Easy Swing & Lock Top of Stairs Baby Gate
- 4. Munchkin Easy Close Pressure Mounted Baby Gate for Stairs
- 5. KidCo G2000 Safeway Top of Stairs Baby Gate
- Why Do You Need the Best Baby Gates for Stairs?
- The Best Baby Gates to Buy
- Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Baby Gate for Stairs
What Is a Baby Gate?
A baby gate is a small gate designed to fit into your interior structures such as doorways, hallways, and stairways. It makes a crucial barrier for your toddler to get through to the most dangerous spots in your home.
A baby gate is intended for toddlers aged 6-24 months, so it is best to install one before your baby gets to this age. It needs to come with the best height and width, including the width of the vertical bars it is made of, which should not be wide enough for the baby to get through or get stuck trying to get through. Additionally, the gate also needs to be sturdy and easy to clean.
With this information, we share these five best gates in thorough reviews, including their features, installation methods, pros, and even cons. Read on as we will also discuss the most important factors to look for so you understand what gate is best for you and your baby.
1. Regalo Easy Step Baby Gate
- EXTRA WIDE: Expands to fit openings between 29-34 and 35-38.5 inches wide. Stands 30...
- EASY TO USE AND SET UP: Pressure mount design that is quick to set up. Please note,...
- ADJUSTABLE: Includes a 6-inch wide extension kit and 4 pressure mount spindle rods....
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a...
- SAFETY: Includes multiple safety-lock features, four wall cups for added security and...
This Regalo Easy Step is your best baby gate for stairs for a few reasons. First, it has the best customer reviews online, which means one thing; parents and caregivers trust it to keep babies safe. Not only that, but it also comes with the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association or JPMA-certification, so you are guaranteed the best safety for your baby.
It fits most staircases, but you need to accurately measure yours before buying the gate to get a good fit. In addition, it is pressure-mounted, which makes it ideal when you don't want a permanent fixture. The baby gate comes with the required mounting hardware and is easy to disassemble when no longer needed.
It is a walk-through gate, so you also don't have to fear tripping over it, but it does come with a stability bay that runs just below the door. In addition, this gate is easy to clean, made with durable steel, and is also easy to open with one hand when going through.
2. Summer Infant Walk Through Baby Gate
- ACCOMODATES MOST OPENINGS: The Summer Multi-Use Decorative Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate...
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easily install this baby gate on stairways with the included kit,...
- AUTO-CLOSE FEATURE: For added hands-free convenience, this safety gate is equipped...
- SAFE AND SECURE: Have peace of mind knowing your baby or pet can explore safely with...
- STYLISH BABY GATE: This extra tall baby gate is metal with a bronze finish, so you...
If you need a baby gate that improves your decor, this Summer Infant gate is your best deal. The gate is 36 inches tall and can fit stairways that are 28.5" to 48" wide. When installing it, you can either pressure-mount it or drill it into your walls or frames.
It is a walk-through baby gate that is also easy to close; it has an auto-close feature that closes it when you walk through. It also has a hold-open feature that leaves it open when the baby is not around. When safety is your priority with a gate to install on top of stairs; you will appreciate the removable door stopper, which prevents the gate from swinging over stairs.
It is a tall baby gate designed to serve you long. It is also easy to clean and made with durable metal, then finished with bronze.
3. Toddleroo by North States Easy Swing & Lock Top of Stairs Baby Gate
- NEW NAME - SAME GREAT BRAND YOU TRUST: Worry-free safety! The Easy Swing & Lock Baby...
- SAFE & SECURE: Keep your loved ones safe with this hardware mounted gate that's...
- STYLISH AND DEPENDABLE: The matte bronze finish and durable steel construction makes...
- LOADED WITH CONVENIENT FEATURES: Equipped with one-hand operation. Swings closed &...
- ADJUSTABLE FOR A VARIETY OF SPACES: This gate is 31 inches tall and designed to fit...
The best baby gates for stairs need to be built with the strongest materials and safety features so they don't budge when your baby tries to tear them down. This baby gate is an excellent solution for you; it is made with heavy-duty metal and will fit most stairways.
You can pressure-mount it on top of stairs where you will also enjoy the gate's design; it will not swing open over the stairs, and it does not have a fixed stability bar below the door that would be a tripping hazard.
The gate closes and opens automatically with a gentle push which allows one-hand operation. This gate is ideal for babies between 6-24 months, and it also comes with JPMA certification. When you can trust your little one to face the stairs on their own, the gate is easy to disassemble and store.
4. Munchkin Easy Close Pressure Mounted Baby Gate for Stairs
- Measures: 29.5" tall and 29.5" - 35" wide with the included (1) 2.75" extension (fits...
- Easy to use; simply push gate to close and lock. Latex free
- Dual-locking mechanism allows door to swing in both directions.Use mild soap and wipe...
- Pressure-fit baby gate with hardware included for added safety
- Includes (1) white Easy Close Safety Gate with (1) 2.75" extension to fit openings up...
This Munchkin safety gate is ideal for top of the stairs and bottom of stairs installation. It is a walk-through baby gate that you pressure-mount to your walls to keep your baby safe from the stairs.
The gate is 29.5" tall and 29.5" - 35" wide, and you can buy it with an extension if your stairway is wider. It comes with a straightforward opening and closing mechanism that only requires a gentle push so that you can operate it with your baby on your hip.
While it comes with a stability bar running below the door that you need to watch out for when crossing, the gate also has a dual-locking mechanism that lets it open both ways to save time. Finally, it comes with the needed installation tools.
5. KidCo G2000 Safeway Top of Stairs Baby Gate
When you need a gate for long-time use, getting one of the best hardware-mounted baby gates such as this one from KidCo is a great investment. The gate is designed for the top of stairs installation but is also ideal for other areas.
This baby gate is made with durable steel, and it even comes with a hinge side hardware so you can install it at an angle when need be. In addition, it allows a one-handed release to open and lacks a bottom threshold which reduces the risk of tripping over it.
The gate also comes with a directional stop, so it won't swing open over the stairs. It is JPMA certified, easy to clean, and great for keeping a pet safe.
Why Do You Need the Best Baby Gates for Stairs?
If you are a new parent, you've got to be prepared for the phenomenon of your baby turning into a dedicated explorer after they get mobility. Of course, babies are curious, and their need to learn intensifies when they know they can get to where things are. But, unfortunately, at their age, they don't know the dangerous spots to avoid, which is where you and a safety gate come in.
The stairway is perhaps the most dangerous spot in your house, and if your baby just started crawling or walking, they will not be able to maneuver the steps. To prevent bad falls on the stairway, you will need to install the best baby gate for stairs at the top of the stairs or the bottom. W
The Best Baby Gates to Buy
There are two types of baby gates you can install for your baby, and the difference between them is the mode of installation. If your house has a stairway, these are the baby gates you can get.
1. Hardware-mounted baby gates
A hardware-mounted baby gate is installed by drilling holes into the walls or stairway frames, then using the included components to fix the gates. This installation method is best for the top of the stairs baby gates as they hold firmly.
Before buying a hardware-mounted gate, you can consider how long you want the gate in use as it is not always ideal to drill such permanent holes on your walls. In addition, it is best to only use this type of installation method in your home rather than a rented residence.
2. Pressure-mounted baby gates
A pressure-mounted baby gate needs tension rods to install, thus eliminating the need to drill holes or screwing in. While they can also hold at the top of the stairs, these gates are better suited for installation at the bottom of stairs as there is less risk if they come undone.
That said, it is best to ensure you get the correct measurements before buying this type of gate to ensure it fits perfectly. The gate is the best solution if you live in a rented house, don't want to drill permanent holes, or only need the age for a short period.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Baby Gate for Stairs
When choosing between the best baby gates, you get many options that can make the process exhausting. But, if you know the basic facts to consider, you can choose the best baby gate for stairs with less hassle. The main factors to consider are;
It is always best to get your stairway dimensions right to ensure the gate fits. Besides getting accurate measurements in inches, you will need to observe the installation angles and the surface you need to install the gate.
b) How you get through the gate
While looking out for your baby's safety, you also have to consider you will be using the gate, and thus, will need to ensure your safety. There are two types of baby gates you can get; a walk-through gate to a climb-over gate.
A walk-through gate is the best option in all instances as it eliminates the risk of tripping over the stairs. But, if you decide to get this gate, look out for a stability bar that could run below the door and make sure you can get over it without tripping.
c) The locking mechanism
Think of the many instances you will carry your baby on your hip as you get through the gate. It is best to ensure the gate is easy to lock, and the best option is a gate that automatically locks when you close it. It saves you time and energy compared to one that requires a two-step locking process.
d) Safety and certifications
A product a baby gate needs to meet certain safety standards for the safety of your baby. When buying a gate, look for the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association) or JPMA certification that guarantees the gate has undergone third-party safety checks for your baby. Such a gate will have the best height to ensure your baby can't get over it and also that the bars are not wide enough so they can get stuck trying to get through.